On August 15, 1869, the first nine Holy Faith Sisters made their vows, in the presence of Fr. John Gowan CM, in the ‘little chapel’ (now the Ada Allingham Room) in the Holy Faith Convent in Glasnevin. Sr. Rose Gaughran, one of these pioneers described the occasion as one of “supreme joy” for all the Congregation.
To commemorate this event, on the afternoon of August 15, this year, Sisters came together to renew their vows and to honour the memory of these first Sisters. This too was an occasion of great joy, we spent some moments in silence to thank God for their call and our call, lit the Chapter Candle in their honour and remembered each one by name.
The Ada Allingham Room was full for both sessions of the renewal of vows. We reflected on the importance of the ‘gospel values’ we are called to live and on our evolving understanding of the vows. Many of our Sisters in Trinidad, the U.S.A, Australia and New Zealand renewed their vows the same day, allowing for time differences.
We were joined by many of the Sisters from Marian House and there was plenty of time for meeting and chatting over a cup of tea in the Large Parlour.